SàT Pubsub is a server independent PEP/PubSub XMPP service, which aims to be complete and universal.
This project was born due to the fact that it is difficult to have feature-full PEP/PubSub on every XMPP servers, and even if it is the case there can be huge delays before seeing new functionalities implementation, or they can be difficult to extend.
The "Salut à Toi" project being using extensively XMPP PubSub functionalities, there was 2 ways to work around the issue:
to concentrate on a particular XMPP server, to recommend it, and if possible make it evolve in the wanted direction.
This would mean being blocked on a specific XMPP server implementation and taking the risk to have incorrectly working (or not working at all) functionalities on other servers
create a server independent component, by using XMPP extensions to have a privileged access to server
Beside the use of "SàT" in the name (which is due to its origins), you don't need to install or use Salut à Toi with this component, and it can be used by any XMPP compatible software.
SàT PubSub was already implementing MAM and RSM (allowing to do searches in archives and to use paginations to retrieve new items), the 0.3.0 version also brings:
- notion of administrators, which are identifiers ("JID") with privileges
- the possibility to find items sorted by creation or modification date, thanks to Order-By (XEP-0413)
- the "Node Schema" experimental feature, to associate data types to a node using Data Forms (XEP-0004). This feature is notably used by Salut à Toi for tickets
- the "Serial IDs" experimental feature, which set new items identifiers using increments (1, 2, 3, etc.) instead of random values. This is notably useful for tickets.
- the "PubSub Admin" experimental feature, which let administrators publish items by specifying an other publisher. This can be used to restore nodes backups.
- the "consistent publisher" experimental feature which, once activated in node settings, keep the original publisher when an item is updated by the node owner or an administrator. This permit to update an item without preventing the original publisher do modify it himself or herself (for instance while editing a blog comment or updating a ticket status).
- a config file can now be used with SàT PubSub, avoiding to have to specify settings – including the password – entirely on the command line. The same file as for Salut à Toi (
sat.conf) is used, the settings for SàT PubSub must be set in the
- a new documentation
You'll find more details in the CHANGELOG.
Version 0.4 development has already begun with a working Python 3 port, completing the port of the whole Salut à Toi ecosystem.
To install SàT PubSub, you just have to enter
pip install sat_pubsub in a Python 2 virtual environment, check documentation for more details.